Operations Supervisor - Transportation (Supply Chain/Logistics)
Posted on: January 13, 2022
Provide operational leadership to individual contributors and
hourly workforce to ensure the execution of daily tasks and
activities including driver deliveries, loading/unloading of
trailers, and customer service operations in a manner consistent
with company services and cost objectives. Supervises most
processes directly including workforce and equipment scheduling.
Responsible for making corrective action and disciplinary decisions
up to written warning level. Involved in the hiring process and
customer meetings as necessary. To coordinate customer delivery
activities, direct company-employed truck drivers.
The Operations Supervisor - Dispatcher is responsible for a safe
work environment for all Drivers. His/her goal is to obtain the
highest possible level of customer satisfaction for all customers
and add value to the services we perform for our customers.
-Competitive Salary and Bonus Eligible
• Establish and sustain that all supervisors and associates are
trained and competent and understand how their work relates to the
customers' business objectives
• Establish and sustain that performance standards are communicated
that are specific and measurable
• Interview hourly associates and provide recommendations for
• Monitor attendance, productivity, and other performance standards
and provide coaching and counseling to associates
• Motivate and engage associates by focusing on team
accomplishments and recognition Maintain a good working
relationship with peers and drivers.
• Maintaining employee records including driver's logs, TMW
information and payroll.
• Supervise logistics operations including customer service,
freight loading and unloading, dispatch and proper documentation
and procedure control
• Conduct team meetings
• Evaluate and recommend changes in preferred work methods to
increase productivity of dispatch operations. Assist in new
• Provide relief coverage for operational duties when associates
utilize time-off or are absent from the shift
• Have a thorough working knowledge of the site's operating systems
in order to ensure operational compliance and correct exception
• Complete all necessary records and reports in a timely and
• Complete reporting for on-time performance of the carrier for the
• Complete reporting of overnight issues for the regional team and
keep management apprised of operational issues that arise.
• Field calls, emails, and in- of various nature from drivers, dock
workers, and other terminals.
• Assisting Terminal Manager or Area Manager with start-up of new
Terminals, if requested.
• Ensure compliance with financial policies & procedures such as
tracking MPG, returns, damages, etc.
• Understand the relationship between decision-making and
• Closely manage associates' working hours and activities to
minimize overtime and to meet or exceed productivity targets
• Ensure day-to-day management and associate activities are aligned
with the location safety strategy
• Provide associates with communication, training, feedback, and
direction to ensure safe performance
• Ensure compliance with all applicable regulatory agencies and
company policies and procedures
• Conduct safety observations
• Manage the driver compliance in regards to Federal and State
regulations, including but not limited to Federal Motor Carrier
Safety Regulations and OSHA regulations.
Growth / Customer Experience
• Understand the location-specific customer goals & objectives and
work to meet and exceed these expectations daily
• Ensure the customer knows that we are committed to helping them
meet their objectives
• Determine areas that could benefit from Continuous Improvement
• Properly plan work assignments to ensure effective use of fleet
• Work with hourly associates to ensure they understand safe and
efficient operation of equipment
• Work with vendors to ensure equipment is maintained
• Work with Penske Truck Leasing to ensure schedule of preventative
maintenance is complete
• Ensure compliance of the scheduling of drivers and vehicles on
• Manage the driver's daily vehicle condition reports weekly.
• Manage the driver's hours of service compliance.
• Other projects and tasks as assigned by supervisor
• 2 - 4 years related functional experience
• High School Diploma or equivalent required
• Bachelor's Degree preferred
• Must have ability to connect and build rapport and relationships
with associates and external customers at all levels
• Must have ability to work efficiently with time management and
• Strong written/oral communication skills and the ability to
actively listen are required
• Ability to manage through a problem and think and make decisions
• Ability to drive process improvement and lead change
• Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
and PowerPoint required
• Must demonstrate ownership & responsibility to run the operation
with a sense of urgency
• DOT and dispatching experience preferred for dedicated contract
• Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of
• Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule,
work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment
application, submit to a background investigation (to include past
employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening
-The physical and mental demands described here are representative
of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform
the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
-The associate will be required to: read; communicate verbally
and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information;
and remember and understand certain instructions or guidelines.
-While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be
required to stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently
required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with
hands and arms. The associate must be able to occasionally lift
and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
-Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and
the ability to adjust focus.
Penske is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Penske Logistics
Penske Logistics is a wholly owned subsidiary of Penske Truck
Leasing. With operations in North America, South America, Europe
and Asia, Penske Logistics provides supply chain management and
logistics services to leading companies around the world. Penske
Logistics delivers value through its design, planning and execution
in transportation, warehousing and freight management. Visit
www.PenskeLogistics.com to learn more.
Keywords: Penske, Bethlehem , Operations Supervisor - Transportation (Supply Chain/Logistics), Professions , Nazareth, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!