Diagnostic Medical Sonographer I (Per Diem) Maternal Fetal Medicine
Company: St. Luke's University Health Network
Posted on: January 24, 2023
St. Luke's is proud of the skills, experience and compassion of
its employees. The employees of St. Luke's are our most valuable
asset! Individually and together, our employees are dedicated to
satisfying the mission of our organization which is an unwavering
commitment to excellence as we care for the sick and injured;
educate physicians, nurses and other health care providers; and
improve access to care in the communities we serve, regardless of a
patient's ability to pay for health care. Performs ultrasound
patient examinations on obstetric patients under the directions of
a Perinatologist. The position requires a significant degree of
judgement in the performance of assigned duties. The intent of this
job description is to provide a summary of the major duties and
responsibilities of this position and shall not be considered as a
detailed description of all the work requirements that may be
inherent in the position.JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Uses interviewing techniques to gather relevant information
from the patient or patient's representative and the patient's
medical records regarding the patient's health status and medical
- Communicates with the patient in a manner appropriate to the
patient's ability to understand; presents explanations and
instructions in a manner that can be easily understood by the
patient. This includes explanation of procedure and responding to
patient questions and concerns.
- Performs a variety of OB ultrasound examinations using
established protocols with some degree of individual judgment based
on circumstances and patient conditions.
- Recognizes sonographic characteristics of normal and abnormal
tissues, structures, and blood flow; adjusts scanning technique to
optimize image quality and spectral waveform characteristic.
Performs measurements and calculations according to protocols.
- Analyzes sonography findings throughout the course of the
examination so that a comprehensive exam is completed, and
sufficient data is provided to the Perinatologist in order to
direct patient management and render a final diagnosis.
- Prepares for and assists Perinatologist with guidance imaging
during invasive procedures.
- Assists with introduction or placement of intra cavity
- Perform proper disinfection, as per equipment and regulatory
standards of all medical equipment/devices.
- Records diagnostic images and documented patient data for use
by the interpreting Perinatologist in rendering a diagnosis and for
- Communicates to Perinatologist patient clinical history and
clinical observations made during ultrasound examination.
- Ultrasound rooms are restocked daily at the end of the shift
with laundry, SPD and Store Room supplies. At the end of each shift
should be cleaned and ready for the next patient.
- Must have knowledge of handling, disposal and clean up of
spills of all HAZ-MAT materials in the Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Accurately adheres to downtime procedures to assure appropriate
information is available resulting in excellent continuity of
- Exhibits the ability to work with others, is considerate of
others work ethics, follows and takes directions well.
- Maintains confidentiality of all materials handled with the
Network, as well as the proper release of information.
- Complies with Network and departmental policies regarding
issues of employee, patient and environmental safety and follows
appropriate reporting requirements.
- Demonstrates/models the Network's Service Excellence Standards
of Performance in interactions with all customers (internal and
- Demonstrates Performance Improvement in the following areas as
appropriate: Clinical Care/Outcomes, Customer/Service Improvement,
Operational System/Process, and Safety.
- Demonstrates financial responsibility and accountability
through the effective and efficient use of resources in daily
procedures, processes and practices.
- Complies with Network and departmental policies regarding
attendance and dress code.
- Demonstrates competency in the assessment, range of treatment,
knowledge of growth and development and communication appropriate
to the age of the patient treated.
- Completes yearly required competency assessments as set by the
- Maintains responsibility for own professional development
through active participation in in-services and/or continuing
medical education programs.
- Will demonstrate knowledge pertaining to patient condition,
history and appropriate medical background and information as it
pertains to the examination to be performed.
- Knowledge of and ability to use electronic medical record (EMR)
and ultrasound reporting systems.
- Assists in gathering and recording Quality
Assurance/Performance Improvement Program.
- Acts as a preceptor to coordinate orientation and training for
students and new hires as assigned by manager.
- Oversee compliance of site regulatory logs/checklists.
- Occasionally work with leadership to present OB/MFM scholarly
article reviews at department lunch and learn.
- Assist with data collection for department certifications
- Participate with department review of policies and
- Other related duties as assigned.
PHYSICIAL AND SENSORY REQUIREMENTS:
Frequent use of fingers and hands in operating equipment and for
paperwork. Standing and walking for up to 7 hours per day in
60-minute increments. Sitting for up to 1 hour per day in 15-minute
increments. Pushing, pulling and lifting patients and litters up to
300 pounds with assistance. Lifting and moving objects up to 40
pounds. Must be able to do frequent bends, stoops and crouches.
Must be able to reach above shoulder level. Must be able to hear
and see as it relates to normal hearing and vision.
EDUCATION: Graduate from an accredited formal Diagnostic Medical
Sonography Program required. American Registry for Diagnostic
Medical Sonography (ARDMS) registration in Obstetrics and
Gynecology required. Nuchal Translucency (NTQR) and Cervical Length
(CLEAR) certifications required within one year of hire.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: Minimum of one-year experience in
obstetrical ultrasound preferred. Current CPR certification
required. Knowledge of computer basics a must.
WORK SCHEDULE: Day shift with occasional middle shift and weekends,
depending on the needs of the department.
Please complete your application using your full legal name and
current home address. Be sure to include employment history for the
past seven (7) years, including your present employer.
Additionally, you are encouraged to upload a current resume,
including all work history, education, and/or certifications and
licenses, if applicable. It is highly recommended that you create a
profile at the conclusion of submitting your first application.
Thank you for your interest in St. Luke's
St. Luke's University Health Network is an Equal Opportunity
Keywords: St. Luke's University Health Network, Bethlehem , Diagnostic Medical Sonographer I (Per Diem) Maternal Fetal Medicine, Healthcare , Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!