Hospice Registered Nurse (RN)
Company: Affinity Care of Pennsylvania
Posted on: January 20, 2023
Affinity Care of Pennsylvania - JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The registered nurse plans, organizes and directs hospice care and
is experienced in nursing, with emphasis on community health
education/experience. The professional nurse builds from the
resources of the community to plan and direct services to meet the
needs of individual and families within their homes and
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Completes an initial, comprehensive and ongoing comprehensive
assessment of patient and family to determine hospice needs.
Provides a complete physical assessment and history of current and
2. Provides professional nursing care by utilizing all elements of
3. Assesses and evaluates patient's status by:
A. Writing and initiating plan of care
B. Regularly re-evaluating patient and family/caregiver needs
C. Participating in revising the plan of care as necessary
4. Initiates the plan of care and makes necessary revisions as
patient status and needs change.
5. Uses health assessment data to determine nursing diagnosis.
6. Develops a care plan that establishes goals, based on nursing
diagnosis and incorporates palliative nursing actions. Includes the
patient and the family in the planning process.
7. Initiates appropriate preventive and rehabilitative nursing
procedures. Administers medications and treatments as prescribed by
the physician in the physician's plan of care.
8. Counsels the patient and family in meeting nursing and related
9. Provides health care instructions to the patient as appropriate
per assessment and plan.
10. Assists the patient with the activities of daily living and
facilitates the patient's efforts toward self-sufficiency and
optional comfort care.
1. Completes, maintains and submits accurate and relevant clinical
notes regarding patient's condition and care given. Records
pain/symptom management changes/outcomes as appropriate.
2. Communicates with the physician regarding the patient's needs
and reports changes in the patient's condition; obtains/receives
physicians' orders as required.
3. Communicates with community health related persons to coordinate
the care plan.
4. As a mandatory reporter, reports failure to comply with the
requirements of PA state, local, and federal law and ethics as
required within 14 calendar days, using Dept. of Health forms.
5. Reports suspected abandonment, abuse, financial exploitation, or
neglect of a person to the department of social and health services
and the proper law enforcement agency. Reports must be submitted
immediately when the reporting person has reasonable cause to
believe that abandonment, abuse, financial exploitation, or neglect
of a vulnerable adult has occurred.
6. Teaches the patient and family/caregiver self-care techniques as
appropriate. Provides medication, diet and other instructions as
ordered by the physician and recognizes and utilizes opportunities
for health counseling with patients and families/caregivers. Works
in concert with the interdisciplinary group.
7. Provides and maintains a safe environment for the patient.
8. Assists the patient and family/caregiver and other team members
in providing continuity of care.
9. Works in cooperation with the family/caregiver and hospice
interdisciplinary group to meet the emotional needs of the patient
10. Attends interdisciplinary group meetings.
1. Participates in on-call duties as defined by the on-call
2. Ensures that arrangements for equipment and other necessary
items and services are available.
3. Supervises ancillary personnel and delegates responsibilities if
4. Assumes responsibility for personal growth and development and
maintains and upgrades professional knowledge and practice skills
through attendance and participation in continuing education and
5. Fulfills the obligation of requested and/or accepted case
6. Actively participates in quality assessment performance
improvement teams and activities.
1. Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
2. Registered Nurse, with a License in good standing to practice in
the state of Pennsylvania.
3. Registered nurses shall have a minimum of (a) one (1) year of
experience as a professional nurse within the last three (3) years;
OR have a baccalaureate degree in nursing and minimum of two (2)
years' experience, at least one of which is in the area of public
health, home care, or hospice nursing is preferred.
4. Management experience not required. Responsible for supervising
hospice aides may be applicable.
5. Once an offer of employment is made, it is contingent upon
satisfactory references, as requested, and criminal background
checks by regulation.
6. Excellent observation, verbal and written communication skills,
problem solving skills, basic math skills; nursing skills per
7. Prolonged or considerable walking or standing. Able to lift,
position and/or transfer patients. Able to lift supplies and
equipment. Considerable reaching, stooping bending, kneeling and/or
crouching. Visual acuity and hearing to perform required nursing
8. Must be a licensed driver with an automobile that is insured in
accordance with state/or organization requirements and is in good
1. Competitive Salary
2. PTO & Paid Holidays
3. Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
4. Short Term Disability
5. Accident, Hospital Indemnity, and Chronic Illness Insurance
6. Life Insurance
8. Employee Referral Bonus
9. Business Cellphone
10. Mileage Reimbursement -
Keywords: Affinity Care of Pennsylvania, Bethlehem , Hospice Registered Nurse (RN), Healthcare , Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!